Saturday 30 October 2010

Triple Apple Cider Bundt Cake

A while back I found an amazing recipe for Apple Cider Bundt Cake on the facebook page of one of my favourite sites,  www.theppk.com.   A good excuse to buy a cake ring pan, and also to pretend that a slice of cake is one of your 5-a-day.

Bodge 1: Not realising that when Americans say 'apple cider' they mean cloudy apple juice, I went to the co-op and bought a bottle of alcoholic cider.  When I got home I realised my mistake but was damned if I was going back for apple juice, so went ahead anyway.  A bit scared of creating an alco-cake, I boiled some of the cider before adding to the recipe to try and reduce its alcohol content.  

Bodge 2: I had a slight problem when it came to the flaxseeds as I didn't have any ground ones.  Tried my blender which just moved them round a whole lot, then tried using pestle and mortar, which after about half an hour's physical exertion yielded about half a tablespoon.  So I shoved that in, plus some ground almonds, as that was the nearest thing available in my cupboard...

Anyway I'm pleased to report the cake tasted really good and went down really well with my omni friends.  All loving the stuffing in the middle.  I reckon baking the cake for an hour gets rid of most of the alcohol, and the flavour from using cider is a much better option than just using apple juice.  Next time, won't bother boiling the cider for the batter, and will ensure have the ground flaxseed, as my cake didn't rise perfectly and that may well be why.  An excuse to buy a spice grinder, anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment