Sunday 31 October 2010

Mocha Muffins


I have been meaning to make these since I found this recipe a couple of weeks ago.

I followed the recipe pretty much as given. I had to smash up some dark chocolate as I couldn't find dark choc chips in the supermarket, but this was the only substitution.  At one point I did consider replacing half of the soya milk with some Kahlua for a kick, but was dissuaded of this idea by Thom who looked aghast at the idea.  

The recipe states that it makes 12 muffins, so, intending to take some into work, I doubled the recipe.  I'm glad I did, as my batch made only 15 muffins.  I therefore think it unlikely the original amounts would  have stretched to even 10 muffins.
 
The result - the muffins rose nicely, and have a lovely moist texture.  I was expecting them to be sweeter, and initially suspected I'd made an error measuring out the sugar. I'm still undecided on that one. The dark chocolate I used certainly is more bitter, and doesn't sweeten them up in the way that chocolate chips would have done.

Having said this, once I got used to the less sweet flavour I really liked it and the bitter chocolate gave them a lovely dark flavour.   In an effort to save my waistline I took some to work and they received numerous compliments..

I will certainly be making these again...and I am still tempted by the Kahlua idea...


No comments:

Post a Comment